Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 31 - fixing it

fixed the program today and ran all the post-processings for the top scans. Compiled some of them into AVI's. also talked to maria about writing a paper about my research, more on that later.

Day - 30 - problem

During a practice of my presentation maria noticed that the scales on my b-scans were incorrect. This means that i have to go back through and first, edit my program. Second, get the program to run. Third, run the program for the 12 scans we did earlier.

Day 28/29 - more presenting

The last couple of days have consisted of making minor changes to my presentation. As well as presenting it to maria and the other people in the BMI lab for constructive criticism. I changed my animated GIF images into AVI's to be played like movies, and to be more compatible with earlier versions of PowerPoint

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 26/27 - presentation

worked on my presentation and then started my paper. finishing this up tomorrow

Day 25 - Research

Today i did some more research into TFT (Thin Film Transistors) on paper. once the paper is coated by sputtering, transistors are applied as if  it was a silicon wafer. The finished product is an organic flexible display, that is applied to paper.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 24 - More Powerpoint

I started out today finishing up some of my 3D models of the surface of papers. Then i continued to work on my presentation. My hope is to finish this by Monday so maria and i can take a look at it and begin editing. Tomorrow will be more work on the power point and compiling the data that we have so we can sen it to Portugal(the people that asked us to study the papers).

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 23 - 3D Models

Today maria wanted me to make 3D surface plots for all of the top surfaces of the paper. As I started to make them we noticed that the axis didn't line up the way we wanted them to. By that time it was lunch and i lose my computer to one of the grad students. So for the rest of the day I continued working on my presentation.

Day 22 - Normalized Moments

Today we did statistical analyses on our 2nd normalized moment. We noticed that in a few of the papers the moment was under 2 which meant that the A-line was a rice distribution. This means that there is a pattern in the substance as we move across. This corresponds with our previous images that showed a sort of line pattern from threads going up and down the paper.

Day 21 - presentation

Today i worked on finalizing my presentation. I had already made one for a meeting a couple of weeks ago but today we began adding all of the stuff that is needed to give it context to common people.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 20 - GIF

Click it to see it in action
During my down time yesterday i started to make some animated GIF files. These will probably be used in presenting our work to Portugal and for my presentation. As usual, I took it one step further and created moving 3D models of the surface of paper "b".

Day 19 - Using Said Program

Today was simply running the program with the 12 data sets i have. Later we will be looking at the results to see some correlation between the 3 ratios and the quality of the paper. These normalized moments can be used in the future for factory inspection to check the quality of every piece of paper that leaves the facility.

Day 18 - Program works

After a very long a hard day i finally got my program to work. The script randomly pulls 25 A-lines from a huge data set and displays them, then it allows the user to crop the data before calculating the normalized moments. All of this data is then exported to an excel file for future reference.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 17 - Analyses Begins

Today we finished up the last of cropping the A-Lines to create more detailed B-Scans. Each of these B-Scans are saved in a excel file as well as a jpeg of the B-Scan. Tomorrow i will begin editing the normalized moments script to calculate the moments of each scan.